Skip to main content

Deck Breakdown Breakdown

(This article is a simple explanation for the deck breakdown structure I use, and not an actual deck breakdown at all. Refer to this document if you have any questions about the way my deck breakdowns are formatted.)

Deck List: [A link to the decklist on tappedout.com goes here.]

You can sort this decklist by various different categories, such as card type or card price, but the default has it sorted by my own Basic and Non-Basic categories as outlined in each article.

Summary

This is the section where I do my best to summarize a deck's main themes and strategies all in one succinct paragraph. I usually try to name drop the individual custom categories for a deck, so users who only read the deck's summary can still get a general idea of what the deck is about.

Stats

In this section, I display some general stats for the deck. I list the deck's colors, and give a rudimentary rating out of 5 for the deck in three categories: Reliance on Commander, Power Level, and Deck Speed. These values are calculated in any way, but rather are based on my personal opinions about the deck. Below is a rubric for these values ,to give you an idea of what the ratings are based on:

Reliance on Commander Rating
A deck that cannot function without its commander on the battlefield. 5/5
A deck that will almost always cast its commander a least once a game. 4/5
A deck that sometimes gets benefits from casting its commander, but not usually. 3/5
A deck that rarely casts its commander, but still does sometimes. 2/5
A deck that is only using its commander for the color identity it provides and never casts it. 1/5

Power LevelRating
A deck that can win often and is always one of the most commanding decks at a table.5/5
A deck that will often come out on top, or remain in a dominating position most games.4/5
A deck that can hold its on against higher power decks, but tends to be easier to stop.3/5
A deck that is often at the mercy of other players, but can still win a game occasionally.2/5
A deck that rarely, if ever wins a game.1/5

Deck SpeedRating
A deck that wins while most other decks are still setting up.5/5
A deck that comes out of the gate quickly but usually doesn't win until the mid-game.4/5
A deck that takes some time to set up but can close a game quickly.3/5
A deck that never wins quickly but can still close out a game eventually.2/5
A deck that will only win after a long, slowly fought attrition war.1/5

The Average CMC and Price are calculated and taken from the decklist on tappedout.com, using TCGPlayer mid as the pricing. Finally, the Creation Date describes how long ago the deck was first created, including any decks that came before it to which this deck is a spiritual successor.

Strengths & Weaknesses

In this section, I try to cover the strengths and weakness of the deck in very broad terms. As this is still a high level view of the deck, I will not go into detail about specific cards, just like in the deck summary. A reader who reads the summary, strengths and weakness, and conclusion alone should still have a pretty good basic idea of what to look out for when playing the deck for the first time.

Basic  & Non-Basic Deck Categories

In these sections, I zoom in further to look at the deck in a more detailed level, examining individual cards and what they contribute to the deck. I discuss them using the seven basic" categories that pretty much every deck will contain some amount of, and then I discuss them using the "non-basic" categories that are specific to this deck and its game plan. I also list how many of each card in the deck falls into these categories; these values are also calculated by tappedout.com automatically. For the basic categories, I also compare this amount of cards to the average amount of that category I would expect to see in a given commander deck. The average card category amounts are as follows:

Card Draw 8
Recursion 6
Protection 3.5 (3 or 4)
Board Wipe 3.5 (3 or 4)
Removal 8
Ramp 8
Land 38

Notable Cards and Combos

I use this section to go even further than just talking about the general categories of cards in a deck, to highlight some specific card interactions and combos the decks contain. These can be anything from major win conditions for the deck, to simply fun interactions that are possible with this list of cards.

Cards I Used to Run

Some of my decks have been around for quite awhile. Those decks usually have a lot of cards that I used to run, but ended up removing for one reason or another. I wanted a place to talk about cards that SEEM like they would be a perfect fit for the deck, but didn't end up performing very well.

EDHREC Analysis

There is often overlap between this section and the previous section, but I also wanted to take a look at the commander deck aggregating website edhrec.com. Specifically, I wanted to look at some of the most included cards for a particular commander (Signature cards), and the most included cards for a particular color (Top Cards), and talk about which ones I did not include and for what reasons.

Conclusion

Finally, I like to give a summary of my thoughts and feelings on the deck in a short conclusion. This is usually more about how much I like the deck from a deckbuilder's standpoint, whereas most of the rest of the breakdown is more about how the deck plays. Following from this theme, I also like to give a score out of 5 for Deckbuilder Satisfaction. This score exemplifies how much I like the deck, and how confident I am that it will continue to stick around in my collection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W: Darien, King of Kjeldor

(If you are unfamiliar with the breakdown structure I use for decks, read about it here .) Deck List:  Darien, King of Kjeldor

Cards I Don't Use

Explanation This is a small list of things that I choose NOT to include in any of my decks, and an explanation of why. You will not find cards of these types in ANY of my decklists, and rather than repeat the explanation for why they are missing each time they come up, I will explain them once here and refer to this document later. These are mostly groupings of cards which I consider "unfun" in some way, or cards that I've found lead to board states that are not fun. As such, I have decided not to play with them in my decks, but i have no problem with playing against an opponent who chooses to include them! Just because I find them unfun, doesn't mean you have to too. The List Mass Land Destruction.  Any card that destroys, bounces, or otherwise gets rid of multiple lands at once. This includes cards like Blood Moon  and Ruination  that only destroy basic lands. I've played with them before, and while mass land destruction is a valid and potent strategy